Sunday, August 22, 2010

I accepted Christ as Savior in college after years of abusing my body, my relationships and the law (but enough about that!). I had been a “hippie, yippie, dippie” musician for many years playing guitar in noteworthy rock groups, traveling throughout the South during the peak years of Doobie Brothers, Allman Brothers and other Southern Rock Bands.

Soon after becoming a believer I went to a large university where I was approached by the campus director for Campus Crusade, and, after a few discussions about my faith, my maturity and such, Rich asked me if I would consider being “song leader” for Crusade’s large meetings. (To this day I have no idea how Rich knew who I was).

At the time I didn’t even know what a “spiritual song” aka chorus* was much less how to be a solo song leader of 100+ college students every Thursday night. Since for years I’d stood in front of a wall of amplifiers and behind guitars and microphones playing in public I felt I would be reasonably comfortable leading songs. Besides, I had traded my '57 Les Paul (electric guitar) for a Gibson Dove (acoustic guitar) and, until then, wasn't sure how I would use it. After a few weeks I began to figure out the pace, the chord changes, etc.

NOTE: Choruses at the time were still a new worship style and would NEVER have been sung in any "respectable" Church. How things change!

Because of my close work with Rich, I was eventually asked to join what was in those days called the “Central Action Group”. I still question his wisdom in that decision…but I thank God often that he saw me through, as it were, God's eyes and not merely his own.

With Rich’s investment in my life and “personal ministry” (I had never heard that term before) God began to develop in me a vision of what the Christian life was; namely, a pro-active, conscientious and faithful effort at winning those who remained without Christ and then discipling them. (My experience as a new Christian being discipled on campus would prove to be VERY different than anyone I met in local Churches for many years to come.)

As a CAG we read, discussed, trained with and prayed about some great materials that focused on Evangelism, Disciplemaking and the Christian life, including:

  • Four Spiritual Laws – Campus Crusade for Christ
  • My Heart, Christ’s Home
  • Tyranny of the Urgent (Intervarsity)
  • The Hand Illustration (Navigators)
  • The Wheel Illustration (Navigators)
  • Disciples Are Made, Not Born – Walt Henrichsen
  • Born to Reproduce – Dawson Trotman, founder of Navigators
  • Ten Steps to Christian Maturity – CCC
  • Dedication and Leadership – Douglas Hyde
  • So What’s the Difference – Fritz Ridenour
  • How To Be a Christian Without Being Religious – Fritz Ridenour
  • Knowledge of the Holy – A.W. Tozer
  • Evidence That Demands a Verdict – Josh McDowell
  • Training of the Twelve - A.B. Bruce
 And of course, and especially,

Master Plan of Evangelism by Robert Coleman.

(NOTE: As a pastor can you imagine expecting your leadership team to read these? As a new believer I thought every Christian had benefitted from these types of materials.)

There were many more but these are only the ones I could still find on my bookshelves. Yes, we read all of these and many more during our years of college.


Question: Are you familiar with this list of books/booklets and how/when did you learn about them? After all, these were life-changing resources for thousands, perhaps millions over the years.

Question: What do YOU use in your personal discipleship ministry?

Question: Suggest a topic around these titles, their use, what you've found to be helpful and I and others here will attempt to respond.
We all look forward to hearing your thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment